Over the years I’ve reviewed many “get quick rich” programs. They essentially all say the same thing or make the same promises about earning thousands of dollars a week part time, with very little effort. Typically they start with a story about how the individual who started the program was a step away from being destitute, and then persevered and discovered a secret formula of building wealth, and will sell that secret wealth building formula to you because there is so much opportunity with this formula, that everyone can be successful.
While I am far from being a cynic, I do look at these programs and know that it is never that easy. Starting a home based business takes hard work. Sure there are hundreds of benefits, and the potential to earn a full time income, and possibly even become wealthy starting a home based business. However, over 95% of people fail. People fail at their home based businesses for a lot of reasons, but primarily because they go in with improper expectations and without a real plan or timeframe to build their business. Let’s discuss what to expect when starting a home based business.
Whether you are a mom looking to start a home based business, a retiree looking for part time income, or anyone else looking to work from home in your spare time, you have probably searched the internet and come across dozens of business opportunities that makes a lot of promises, and provide a lot of testimonials about how much people have made with a particular program. While I do believe that this information is true and accurate, and that you can make a lot of money with a home based business, you need to have a realistic approach and use some common sense. Here are some guidelines on what to expect as you build your home based business, and some “gotchas” to fight through:
1. Don’t expect to make money right from the beginning. A home based business takes commitment and takes some time. You should have a business plan or at least a timeframe on when you expect to make money, and work towards that goal. I think so many people fail at starting a home based business because they believe they will make money within a few days of starting the program, and when they don’t they get discouraged and quit. Set realistic goals and as you meet those goals you will be on the right path.
2. Setting aside time to build your business can sometimes be a challenge. Mom’s looking to start a home business may have to drive their kids to different after school activities, as well as a host of other things. Other people have other commitments in their life. The beauty of a home based business is that it’s your business and you can go at your own pace. I know for me, there have been times when I had other commitments and went a few days without being able to focus on my home business. That’s okay. Don’t beat yourself up. Make a schedule, even if it’s only for 20 minutes three times a week, and get something accomplished. The key is perseverance.
3. Find a program or a business that is fun for you or something you really believe in. Start a home based business by looking at the things you know and like, and instead of it being work, it will be fun. It’s much easier to find time for things you enjoy or subjects that you really understand and are interested in.
4. Don’t look outward, but from within. Although there are many people who can help, you really need to help yourself. There are a lot of mentors, and don’t get me wrong, you should find one or a group of them that can help give you guidance, instruction and tips. However, do not expect someone or a program to do it for you. You need to be independent to a certain degree, and willing to try different things all the time. The success of your home based business is really up to you and you alone.
5. Be willing and ready to change. As you continue on with your journey to build a successful business from home in your spare time, keep in mind that when you just get started there will be a learning curve. How you start may not necessarily be the way you end up. Through trial and error you will learn the best tactics and strategies and the best way to manage your home based business. Remember, every time you fail at something, you are learning how NOT to do it, and you are getting closer to be successful.
There are so many people who want to make money from home, and build a successful home based business today, that it’s inevitable that many will try. Unfortunately, a lot of these same people will fail because they will have the wrong expectations. Expect hard work. Expect that nothing comes easy. Expect a sense of accomplishment by owning your own home based business. Expect success will take time. If you accept these conditions and work through them, you will be a success in your home based business, and will reap the rewards of the hard work and dedication you committed to.