It may not be surprising to know that most affiliate marketers do not make any money on the Internet, but the failure rate itself is quite shocking. Most analysts cite a failure rate of between 95 and 97%.
Most people fail at affiliate marketing because they lack the appropriate skills, receive no support from their sponsor, and are unwilling to put in the effort that is necessary to learn how to succeed. Yet, any affiliate marketing merchant who is determined to succeed can do so. If you are determined to succeed as an affiliate marketer, you simply need to learn four basic skills and implement them correctly.
Although this is a very bold claim, it is entirely true. Here are the four basic internet marketing skills you need to master in order to stop losing money and join the 3-5% of affiliate marketing winners…
1. Build your own website.
2. Master one traffic generating method at a time.
3. Find good quality affiliate products.
4. Only market products that offer high rates of commissions.
1. Yes, you need to have a website of your own as a basic marketing platform. Choose the name of your website carefully and include a keyword phrase in the name that tells the search engines what it is that you sell. Use a dot-com ending. Find a good quality web hosting company to host your site on. Your website needs to capture the attention of your visitors by having great content which is related to your promotional products.
Therefore, if you can provide useful information that answers their questions, you stand a much better chance of making a sale for the product that you represent.
2. The single biggest problem that most people who are new to being an affiliate marketing merchant face is that they do not know how to get enough good quality traffic to their website to generate sales and start making a profit.
Another problem is too much choice. There are so many different ways to market your products online that you can easily end up chasing after too many marketing methods at once. It will be much more productive and rewarding if you focus on one method of traffic generation at a time until you have become an expert at it. You can focus on learning other methods later. Eventually you will want to master them all, but in the beginning keep your focus narrow and deep.
3. One of your key aims as an affiliate program merchant should be to develop a good reputation. You can only do that by offering the good quality products and by giving good and efficient service. Trust is an essential factor in online marketing because buying and selling is not conducted face to face. On the other hand, the Internet provides you with many opportunities for close communication with your customers and prospects, so the two ways to build trust are to offer good quality products and good, friendly communication and support. For sure, the products that you sell need to be top quality so that you can provide good support! Maintaining close communication in order to sell someone on a dodgy product is NOT good support!
4. No matter how much you enjoy Internet affiliate marketing, remember that making money is the bottom line. Carefully check the affiliate program of any company that interests you and try to work out how many times you would need to make a sale in order to break even. When you are calculating your costs, you need to consider your time as well.
Many people attempt to be a successful affiliate marketing merchant but do not follow these basic details. Until you master these four basics of internet marketing, there is no point in discussing the deeper aspects of affiliate marketing strategy.